11/11/2006

Veteran's Day

Yesterday started like any other day. I woke up and after sending the kids off to school I tried to call my bank back home...I kept getting a weird message with the "hours of operation" and I couldn't figure out why they would be closed on a Friday. It is a military bank but still! I went to work and there was an assembly and this student sang The National Anthem and it hit me like a ton of bricks...it was Veteran's Day! HOW could I forget? I have no excuse...I could tell you that back home Veteran's Day was a huge deal because I lived in a large military town but still I have NO excuse for forgetting. Half of my family made a career out of the military and once upon a time I wanted to join...they had this thing against asthma but I wanted to:-)...I get the reasons why people join and I am a proud American...but this year I didn't even vote because I haven't registered in Oklahoma...that was the first time since I was old enough to vote that I didn't. Oh the guilt:-( So today I have been sitting here reading and remembering about Vets and I ran across this post Ramblin' Educat: Loving Rome More I think this is wonderfully written and gave me chills...so I wanted to share it with ya'll

No comments: