10/18/2008

Oh my word!

I am a mechanics daughter so car repairs do NOT scare me...My Grandfather owned a garage in Phenix City, Alabama that carried my maiden name. My Daddy was not only an aircraft mechanic in the Navy but he also worked for the City Motor Pool where he fixed police cars and stuff...being around cars is in my blood. I even have pictures to prove it lol Pictures from Barbie this one should show you the replacement of the crankshaft sensor...I can even throw around words like harmonic balance and know what it is lol And this one Car Repairs Again is when we replaced the ignition control module...very important part!!...you can see my use of hair pretties to avoid mixing up the wires;-) I am just brilliant lol So doing a simple tune up should be nothing right?? I have done a tune up on both the 89 Olds and on a 2000 Caravan so this wouldn't be the first time. The only problem is I just had surgery and I still have stitches in my belly AND all of the tools I had are in Florida.... SOOOO I have someone come over to put in new spark plugs for me because my #6 one is misfiring and driving me crazy with the putt putting and HORRIBLE gas mileage. I go and buy the spark plugs, anti seize stuff, gap tool and a trusty Hanes Manuel so I can follow directions. Then I see that whoever decided the placement of the spark plugs was on drugs or something...3 of them are so far behind the engine that you need extremely small arms and be a contortionist to reach them! You can't even get to them from underneath!! Ben changed the first three without a hitch and then for the next couple of HOURS..Ben, myself and a friends husband all struggle to remove ONE of them from the back. I no longer cared that I had stitches because I was going to get the stupid thing off...I am a wee bit stubborn in case you didn't know;) I literally laid across the engine and pulled and pulled until my poor arm bruised...see!!

I know Ben and Ali have to be sore today because we all worked so hard to get ONE of them off...JUST ONE! So 4 out of 6 spark plugs have been changed but thankfully one of them was the #6 one that was acting up! I canNOT believe the car beat me lol Or how stiff I am today!! I am NOT that old!

3 comments:

Ame said...

i am SO impressed! all i know is that you put in the key, turn, and there is a stop pedal and a go pedal! LOL!!!

glad to see, though, that you are obviously recovering from surgery!!!

mjalfaro said...

Now I know who to call to come fix my van!! And mow my yard! hahaha

Martie said...

My first hub and I had a drag car that we blew the engine on when I was pg with oldest daughter. I remember sitting in the garage helping put the pistons back in and gapping the plugs for him. However, I have convientely forgotten everything I knew about cars 'cause the man I married knows all about them too and there's nothing he can't fix.......